Monday, August 30, 2010

The Good and the Bad

In the last two days we have had some great things happen, and then also some sad things happen. I will start with the good: We have been looking for a church here in Phnom Penh and that has been a difficult task. Last Sunday we headed to a Khmer church called New life Fellowship that offered English translation. It was an experience from the minute we walked in the door. But what we found so great about this church was the time they spent in worship. It was such a beautiful thing to sit back and watch so many Cambodians worship Jesus. I couldn't stop the tears from rolling down my cheeks as we saw a sight that we have been longing to see for weeks now. I didn't try to sing, I didn't try to join in, all I wanted to do was hear their voices praise. It was a blessing to be there that morning.

Now for the sad things: We have an amazing house help here who cooks us dinner every night. Her name is Ohm. We also have someone who helps with our laundry and keeping the guesthouse clean. She is the daughter of Ohm, and her name is Bon Chenny. On Sunday night, Ohm's husband died of an illness. We learned of the news quickly, and found out the funeral would be on Monday. I (Leanne) was able to attend the funeral, with several others who also knew the family, in hopes to offer support to the those who are grieving. We spent the day out in the Provinces with the family, and it was a pleasure to be there. When I saw Ohm and Bon Chenny with tears in theirs eyes, and a look of shock on their face as they saw me step out of the car, I knew it was good for me to be there. I gave them each a hug, and in my terribly spoken Khmer I told them I was sorry, and prayed that our love would be known through my presence there. I am so thankful I was able to attend, and help them understand that we care and love for them, especially in a time of need.

Please continue to pray for these two things: calling a church home, and our two house helps we see each day that are in a time of loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment