Wednesday, March 21, 2012

A Change in Behavior

Over the last two days at work I have noticed a change in behavior in the kids at our catch-up school with 2Five2. A change for the better.  When we first started there was the natural fear of "who are these people and why are they in my village?"  Over the course of 6 months the kids have come to love their teachers.  They hug them when they arrive at school, and recently our Grade 1 teacher has been asked by more than three of her students if she will visit his/her home for dinner.  This breakthrough in relationship is monumental.  It is now a relationship of trust, care, and love.  The relationships we have been working to create.

Then yesterday while the power was out (that is whole other post about how terribly hot it is here with no aircon or fans) I went outside to study Khmer.  As I was studying the Grade 1 class was let out for a break and I had 5 little kiddos cuddle up to me to laugh at me speak Khmer to them.  They were so excited to study with me that one little girl even asked if she could write the words hello and yes in Khmer for me.  I was excited she knew how to write the words in Khmer (only with a little help), and now I have the precious gift of her new writing skills in my book (maybe that will keep me motivated to continue studying. But again, they are no longer scared, but rather longing for the hugs, affection, and care we want to give to these 100+ children.

I think my favorite part of the day is the start of our afternoon classes.  The students wait patiently outside the building until we open up the doors for school to start.  When we open the doors their little faces beam with excitement and their smiles come out in full force.  It will brighten any one's bad day.  But my favorite part is when they all starting yelling at one another, "Jol Rian" meaning "school is starting."  They say it in a way of, "hurry up, don't miss it, the doors are open now, come quickly."  I love it.  It truly is a blessing to see these kids everyday, to watch our Khmer staff build relationships, and to get little gifts of writing in your book.  Life is sweet!
Students with their teacher at break time.
Students lining up for school to start

No comments:

Post a Comment