Sunday, April 3, 2011

Winners and Losers, Part II

Spirit House Next Door

Recycle Woman
The view from our back patio
There has been so much going on here in Cambodia that I found the easiest way to do an update would be in my favorite format of Winners/Losers.

Winners:
1) The Weather: We have been warned for months about this alleged "hot season." A time in Cambodia where time stands still and all the inhabitants of the nation are subject to scalding temperatures coupled with post-shower humidity and absolutely no breeze. A time when the water in the pipes is warm and fans blow warm air like a hair dryer. This supposed hot season has yet to arrive in Cambodia, though I know that when I hit "publish" on this blog, the clouds will part and the sun will automatically become hotter. But, at this point, the weather has been relatively cool and we are so thankful for that.

2) Work: Leanne and I love our jobs. That is not to say that we do not have days that we would rather stay at home, or that we wish the weekend away. However, we moved to Cambodia because we believed in the work. We wanted Cambodian children to have more opportunities, whether that is in formal education like Logos or through protection via trafficking prevention, we believed that this was important. In so many days our jobs are exciting and substantive. So many doors have been opened for us and we feel like our individual projects are going to well. Leanne's work in Prek Pneu is incredible and it has lasting implications for that entire community. We are blessed to be in these positions and we hope that we never take our opportunity to work here in and for Cambodia for granted.

3) A varying definition of Home: We are caught in between two interesting worlds. We live in Cambodia, our home, work and belongings are here. We know the streets, can speak some of the language and know where to get the best burger in town. We can find jazz music on Sunday nights, happy hours at the best restaurants in town and where to go for a run so we can avoid being hit by a moto. At the same time, we are not Cambodian. I am significantly taller than the national average height and my skin is slightly more fair. No matter how long we study Khmer, we will always be told that we talk like foreigners, because we are foreigners. We are making a home here and that is essential to our long-term happiness. We have good friends and a relaxed lifestyle. Cambodia is progressively becoming comfortable - like home. However, we miss the mountains, new country music and the family and friends who supported us before we moved and now that we are here. I miss Target, REI, Starbucks and Friday morning Sausage McMuffins with Egg. We are divided here, between what we see, what we do and the culture that made us who we really are.

Losers:
1) The Police: For my own mental health, I need to remind myself that not all Cambodian Police are terrible. However, I had an experience a couple of weeks ago that makes me question that statement. I was pulled over, my driving documents were locked in an officer's moto, two officers grabbed me when I tried to leave, my moto was taken away and , after 50 minutes pleading with the police, I had no other option then to give them every cent in my wallet in order to leave. It was terrible, it was frustrating and it made me bitter at the people, their tolerance for corruption and their culture. I had to remind myself, and still do, that not all people here are like those officers, but it is times of stress like that when it takes all I have to forgive them and hope that this type of treatment becomes increasingly more rare.

2) Khmer Vowels: Leanne and I are taking a Khmer tutor. After three weeks of study, we can now write all 33 consonants and we are proud of that accomplishment. However, we were just introduced to the 23 vowels that each have two sounds, according to the letters they are connected to. Many of these vowel sounds are similar to sneezing, wheezing, gagging and grunting. Think of the sounds you make in the morning when you first wake up, those are Khmer vowels.

3) The Question of Why/What?: I am typing this blog in a hot apartment that currently has no electricity. Apparently, our water is not working either. This is typical. So many times during the day I ask what and why.
- Why did you parallel park in the middle of the road?
- Why do you think it is logical to set up a wedding tent in the middle of a busy road, thereby cutting it down to one lane?
- Why do six men have to come connect my Internet, when three of them just sit on my couch and watch the others?
- Why can't we all agree to not play techno music neighborhood wide between the hours of 2 a.m. and 6 a.m.?
- What if we only honked our horns when we were near someone and not to warn them that we are a mile behind but coming fast?
- What if we paved a road by starting at one end and moving towards the other, not starting in the middle and taking two days to decide which way to go next?

We were told that, as Americans, we think linearly. I have a problem and I need a solution, therefore I will take the appropriate steps to get there. Cambodians often think in a compartmentalized manner.( Do I have enough money for today? Then I do not have to work! OR My daughter is getting married, I can rent a tent, so we will have the wedding in the road). This distinct difference in how problems are approached is exhausting and frustrating at times, and makes for a very interesting conflict in terms of the way we view Cambodians and the way they view us.

Sorry for the long post, I know we write enough to make it a commitment to read. We are happy and healthy. Our jobs are great, we are learning a lot, and we pray that we are serving those who are undeserved each day. Enjoy spring at home and eat a Chipotle burrito for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment