Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Pitch Perfect

Soccer season has been in full swing for the past month and I must say this is the most fun that I have ever had on the sidelines. I have coached high school soccer for six years now and I have never been around a group of players who are as talented, motivated and driven. Watching them play is a simple joy and there are times when I believe that they could play with any team they oppose, regardless of the talent level.

Just three games into the season, we are 4-0 and have scored 18 goals while giving up just three which is an amazing stat when considering that we only play 40 minute games. But this team is not about their talent, they are amazing because of their motivation. They play together every day, they speak Korean and Khmer and English to one another depending on who is on the field and they want to get better each game.

This is a special group of guys and I am excited to report back how they finish the season. We have five more regular season games and four tournament games, so there is a long way to go.

Coaching is an absolute gift for me. It allows me to build relationships with the high school boys, it allows me to push them to be better students and it allows me to help them develop character both on and off the field. I learned so much from the game, how to win with humility and how to lose with joy. I hope I can express many of those ideas to my players and push them to be better on the field and off the field. We have a game tonight against the 2nd place team. Here we go, let's do this!

No comments:

Post a Comment