Sunday, January 15, 2012

Winners and Losers: The Holidays and Beyond

It is time again for winners/losers of our life over the past couple of months here in Cambodia. This past semester flew by and it is only now that I am able to understand all that occured over the holidays and into the year 2012.

This winners/losers for the past few months. I will keep them short, if that is possible.

Winners:

The weather: It has been cool in Cambodia for the last 8-weeks. Of course, cool is relative but the past few weeks have brought a couple of mornings in which we almost needed a jacket and one evening in which Leanne put on a sweater for 10 minutes before getting too hot. It was a welcome change from the typical Cambodian heat and helped us feel more in the holiday spirit. One morning, it was 70 degrees which is the coolest many of the long-term residents can remember the weather in recent history.

The Christmas Season: Leanne and I celebrate Christmas in Cambodia like the holiday is on performance enhancers. Nightly Christmas movies, candles, advent calendars, cookie parties and ministry parties made this holiday better than ever. We sure do miss the holidays at home, that will never change but we do it right out here, especially when the temperature hits a bitter 70 degrees.

Travelling with Paul and Brooke: We had the chance to travel to Laos with my brother and his fiance Brooke. Laos must be the sleepiest country on earth. When the travel book explained to us that relaxing with a beer by the Mekong River in the capital city was the best attraction, we knew we found a good spot. We rode boats to boat-access-only towns, we ate in delicious food stands and played cards like we were training to be professionals. It was an excellent vacation with an excellent couple.

Prek Pneu: The school in Prek Pneu is up and running. There are 60 (soon to be 100) kids running around, reading, singing, playing and laughing in this house-come-school building. It is unbelievable that we have been so blessed with this project. It is the winner of winners and I am so proud of Leanne and those kids each time I go and visit. The only problem is that Leanne's office door is only about 5 feet tall and I bang my face on the top of the door every time I go in; besides that I am happy.

Losers:

Transportation in Laos: I mentioned above that Laos was incredible, which it was, but getting around Laos was like a battle of the will each time we moved. Our 7-hour boat ride was extended to 10 hours when our driver made the rookie mistake of running the boat into a rock. Luckily he fixed the broken propeller with some bamboo that he stole from a fence, a bike tube and a butter knife - completing the entire repair in his underwear. I was impressed until I realized that the boat driver committed the unforgivable offense of running the boat into a rock in the first place. We also had a 5-hour bus ride in which the driver stopped to pee on the tire of our bus three times, as well as stopping to pick up his three buddies and his dinner of sticky-rice in a plastic bag. Lastly, we made the decision to take an 11-hour bus ride through the mountains of Laos which sound small but I think they are as tall as the Andes. Needless to say, Leanne puked twice and I had to listen to Hall and Oates the whole time in order to stay positive. It was miserable.

Locking Babies in our Bedroom: True story. Leanne and I had a Christmas cookie decorating party for some of the families we know. Two of the younguns were playing with one another when the older of the two decided to lock the 18-month old in our bedroom; key inside. Luckily our landlord was johnny-on-the-spot with a copied key and the father of the little girl encouraged us that, "she was used to being locked in rooms by herself..." He was very gracious with that mistake.

My half-marathon: I am going to admit that my half-marathon in December was miserable. I trained, I read, I drank chocolate milk after I ran like all the experts suggested and I still finished just ahead of most of the women in the "legends" division. I blame the heat, and those women for being so fast and arrogant.


Broncos vs. Patriots: This morning, 20 Coloradoans gathered together to root on the Broncos. I think most of you saw it, the Donkeys were smashed. We 10 more Coloradoans in a house in Cambodia than the Broncos had points, they may not share that stat on ESPN, but it pretty much explains the whole game.

There have been countless winners and losers, but these are just some of those I thought of that might give you a glimpse into our last couple of months. We are excited about all of the work we get to do this semester, it will be busy but we will unquestionably have grace and love to sustain us until we return home to relax and reconnect with those we love.


Our Laotian boat making repairs.


Alms giving in Luang Prabang, Laos.

Our broken bus to Vientiene Laos, pre-puke.

Leanne with the most authentic santa ever.

Christmas dinner with Paul and Brooke.
Nam Ou River.  This is where we played cards, read, and spent our sleepy days.
At Kuang Si Waterfalls.

The fam in Nong Kheiw, Laos.



2 comments:

  1. Amazing. This made my day! The boat "incident" is unreal, I was literally laughing out loud. Also, your Alms photo is NatGeo quality! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am surprised your "Winners and Losers" didn't include the outcome of the cock fight that occurred outside of our guesthouse on New Years Eve. I think Lao Beer was the winner of that one.

    ReplyDelete