Monday, December 12, 2011

Angkor Wat 10k and Half Marathon

About a week ago, Leanne and I both ran a race through the Angkor Wat temples in Siem Reap. Leanne ran a 10k race through the 1200 year old ruins and I completed the half marathon.

The race itself was fantastic and memorable though, for both of us, very difficult. Leanne had been fighting a lingering cough and chest cold while I, devoid of excuses, suffered through a substantial part of the race. Leanne entered the race knowing that she would likely have to stop, cough, drink water and move on. She was a champ and finished the race with a smile on her face, knowing that her health had indeed got the best of her on that particular day.

I had trained, prepped, read, planned and envisioned and I still finished the race like a wobbly-kneed baby deer. I ran the first 17km strong, on my goal pace and with confidence. The last 4k seemed as long as the first 17 and probably took just as long. Like the Powerbar commercial warns of; I bonked. I had to keep my feet turning and many times through the race, I cursed my decision and foolishness for wanting to run a half marathon in Cambodia. Though painful at the end, I finished and once I got my clear vision back, I was very satisfied with my decision to train and run the race.

We had a wonderful time with the group we went to Siem Reap with and being able to relax for a full day outside of the hustle and bustle of Phnom Penh. Overall, it was a great weekend and a fine accomplishment for both of us. Now neither of us have to run for at least two weeks; that is the best part of finishing the race.

No comments:

Post a Comment