Thursday, June 9, 2011

Life Lessons from the Fresh Prince...

"There's an air of love and of happiness and this is the
Fresh Prince's new definition of
summer madness.
Summer, summer, summer time - time to sit back and unwind
!"

- Fresh Prince and DJ Jazzy Jeff





On the last day of school for about a decade I have clicked on my Summer Mix Tape, CD or iTunes play list and played Summertime by the Fresh Prince and DJ Jazzy Jeff. If you are not familiar with them, I have given you a photo. Will Smith before the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, Hitch and muscles... priceless. This morning, at 6:00 a.m., I played this song to officially usher in summer in Cambodia.
As for most things in life currently, things are going to look differently in the summertime. No climbing 14ers in Colorado (for those of you not familiar, think really big mountains in Colorado), no Pink Lemonade (unless sent in a care package, wink wink) and no - gasp - fly fishing. Argh.

However, Leanne and I are really excited about what we do get to do this summer. Leanne's project is in what I call the "real life" stage. We always talk about how difficult it is to take an idea or a proposal and turn it into a functioning project. She is in the stages of finding a facility that will serve as a school, church and community center in the village of Prek Pneu. Her awesome Canadian intern Sara is helping her with the gritty work of writing grants and talking to muddy Cambodian construction workers. It is really very exciting. By the end of the summer there may be a facility, a staff, students and programs. Pray about that! Really do...

I am not just lounging around. Well, starting next week no more lounging. This week I have made one meeting or appointment per day, just to make sure that I am held accountable to getting out of bed, turning off the aircon and putting on real-person clothes. Other than that one obligation, I spend time on a new project that I have started called Cambodia Bicycle Project and a race that will be held early next year called Pedal the Penh. I hope to raise enough money to distribute 200 bicycles to kids in Svay Rieng Province - Cambodia's poorest. Along with that side project, I will be helping the summer school teachers at Logos as a quasi-administrator / survival coach. It should be a good time. Stay in touch for more on Cambodia Bike Project and Pedal the Penh, it will be advertised soon! Pray about that too! Really do...

We also have a lot of celebrations this summer. Our 3-year wedding anniversary this month, our 1-year in Cambodia milestone, my 27th birthday, and Leanne's 26th birthday. We will be heading to China on July 12th and the day after our return, I start school again so I am sure this summer will fly by.

Leanne and I also want to enjoy summer traditions such as:
- Eat Bratwursts (done and done!)
- Make a 4th of July cake (Leanne's goal)
- Eat Leanne's 4th of July cake (my goal)
- Ride our bikes a lot!
- Nap 2-3 times a week (my goal, Leanne is a working adult)
- Be outside which is oddly enough very difficult to do here with the sun.

Happy summer to you all. If you have not listened to Summertime, I suggest you download it, it will take you straight back to the simpler times of 1991. Keep in touch and send us pictures of you doing great summer activities. Please do...

No comments:

Post a Comment