Thursday, May 12, 2011

Are you Kidding Me...Who are These Kids?

A few days back I had the opportunity to talk to Chris' 9th grade class at Logos about the work that we are doing in the community of Prek Pneu to help prevent children from being a trafficking victim.  I gave my little "talk" and then they asked some great questions to better understand how they could be a part of the solution.  However, this group of 9th graders had already done SO much, they had already become advocates long before I came to speak with them.  Spear-headed by a few amazing kids the class raised over $115 for the program and gave me an envelope full of cash as I was leaving their classroom.  With tear-filled eyes, I tried to express my thanks, and help them understand how far $100 goes in Cambodia.  Kids helping kids, it is amazing!

Then two days ago, they brought me to tears once again.  A few of the 9th graders are very musically talented and were asked to put on a small concert at a local burger joint.  They did their thing, and because of their singing skills, they received about $50 in tips from their performance.  Here is what they said to Chris, "well we wanted the money to go to something good, so can you give this to Mrs. Leanne for her project?"  WHAT?  Since when does a 9th grader not want to go buy Nike's at the mall, but rather give to a local ministry?  What 9th grader does that?  Again the tears come...I continue to think about when I was in 9th grade and how much money I spent on stupid stuff like clothes, CDs, and sunglasses, and here they are becoming major donors for Asian Hope! 

Who are these kids?  Well, I have come to one conclusion, they are kids who care.  Kids who want to see their own country change.  Kids who want to see the evils of the world be curbed.  Kids who live with a generous heart.  Kids who have changed my thinking.  I can't thank each of these 9th graders enough, but I hope you can join me in praying for this wonderful 9th grade class.

No comments:

Post a Comment